Zoning: "No Northerner should Contest in 2023" - El-Rufai


Following the controversy engendered by the discourse over rotational presidency between the North and South in Nigeria, former FCT Minister and Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, has suggested that only the Southerners should contest for the President of Nigeria come 2023, while using the same avenue to debunk the rumours that he is interested in the Nigeria's seat of power. 

He made the statement during interview with BBC Hausa, as a counter reaction to earlier statement made by President Muhammadu Buhari's nephew, Alhaji Mamman Daura also to BBC Hausa, that presidency should not be rotational but on the basis of who is capable of leading the nation. 

In the interview with BBC Hausa, Mallam El-Rufai stated thus:

"In Nigerian Politics, there is a system of rotation, in which everyone agrees that if the North rules for eight years, the south will also rule for eight years. That is why I came out and said that after President Buhari has been in office for eight years, no northerner should run for office. Let the Southerners also have eight years. 

"if you look at how I am, I don't take anyone to work with me for the zone he came from. The eligibility I look at is if who is entrusted to the public will hold it properly. It has been said that I have loved the presidency since I was a minister in the FCT. This is nonsense. I do not want the Nigerian presidency. God gives power, whether you like it or not, if He wants it, He will give it to you, but I have never sought the presidency of Nigeria, no one can say I have ever sought it", he concluded. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EPL top 4 results: Chelsea and United qualify for Champions League as Leicester comes short.

Official: Pedro joins Roma from Chelsea; as Kovacic wins Player of the season for Chelsea

SERAP demands publication of reports on corruption probes from the National Assembly.